- broad Subject: police service
- from: Crime and Policing Group (CPG) – policing directorate
- unit: Police Workforce and Efficiency Unit (PWEU)
- date for implementation: 28 March 2017
- for more information contact: Charles Goldie 020 7035 3512
The Policing and Crime Act 2017 received Royal Assent on 31 January. The act contains a wide range of measures to:
- improve the efficiency and effectiveness of police forces, including through closer collaboration with other emergency services
- enhance the democratic accountability of police forces and fire and rescue services
- build public confidence in policing
- strengthen the protections for persons under investigation by, or who come into contact with, the police
- ensure that the police and other law enforcement agencies have the powers they need to prevent, detect and investigate crime
- further safeguard children and young people from sexual exploitation
The act itself provides for a small number of its provisions to come into force either on the day of Royal Assent or 2 months afterwards (on 31 March).
In addition, the Minister for Policing and the Fire Service has now made the first commencement regulations (the Policing and Crime Act 2017 (Commencement No. 1 and Transitional Provisions) Regulations 2017 (SI 2017/399)) bringing other provisions of the act into force on either 3 April, 6 April or 2 May.
This circular provides details of those provisions of the act that are coming into force on or before 2 May. It will be supported by more detailed operational guidance to the police and others.
A glossary of abbreviations used in this circular is contained in Annex A.
Point of contact
A point of contact for each of the provisions in this circular can be found in Annex B.
A list of offence codes are attached at Annex C.