The Investigatory Powers Tribunal Rules 2000 sets out, in greater detail than the Regulation of Investigatory Powers Act, the procedures the IPT should follow.
They include further detail on:
- how the tribunal should proceed in its investigations and determinations
- how it should receive evidence
- in what circumstances it may disclose material provided to it
- how it should determine proceedings, including oral hearings
- how it should notify a complainant of the outcome
The IPT is content with the draft update to the rules, and a letter from the president of the IPT to the Home Secretary welcoming the consultation can be found at www.ipt-uk.com.