The government is concerned about the potential implications for tour operators and the holiday industry as a whole, and is committed to taking action to address package holiday personal injury claims. Part of this is this call for evidence which covers the following issues:
- the problem of an apparent substantial increase in the number of low value personal injury (PI) claims for gastric illness (GI) arising from package holidays, many of which appear to be unmeritorious
- action the government proposes to take to control legal costs by extending fixed recoverable costs (FRC) to low value PI claims arising from package holidays
- amendments to Pre-Action Protocol for Low Value Personal Injury (Employers’ Liability and Public Liability) Claims (EL/PL PAP)
- issues that we are asking the Civil Justice Council to consider in relation to package holiday low value PI claims other low value PI claims more generally;
- a call for further evidence including data
The responses to this call for evidence will help inform decisions in respect of package holiday personal injury claims. We would be grateful for your response by 10 November 2017.