Close protection licence

Home Office Building - London - by .Martin. via Flickr

Close protection licence



Close protection licence – GOV.UK

Start now on the Security Industry Authority (SIA) website

You need a close protection licence if you work as a bodyguard, or guard one or more individuals from the threat of assault or other injuries.

You must also have a licence if your services are supplied for, or in connection with, a contract with a consumer.

Licences are issued by the Security Industry Authority (SIA).

There are 2 types of licence:

  • a front line licence for bodyguards
  • a non-front line licence for managers, supervisors and other staff who don’t carry out front-line duties


You must:

  • be at least 18
  • pass an identity check
  • pass a [Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) check}(/disclosure-barring-service-check)

For front-line roles you must also hold the appropriate SIA-approved qualification.

How to apply

You can complete your SIA licence application online or by post.You must supply the supporting relevant documentation and pay a fee.

The licence application costs £220 and is non-refundable.

Licences last for 3 years. If you pay your own licence fee, you can claim tax relief. If you are an employer paying an employee’s licence fee, there will be no tax or National Insurance (NI) liability. If you need more than one licence, you may be eligible for a 50% discount for the second application fee.

You must renew your licence before it expires to continue working. You can apply to renew your licence up to 4 months before the expiry of your current licence.

The SIA can visit your workplace (where your licensed action is undertaken) to check you. You may also have to provide any relevant documents or information to show you’re following any licence obligations.


Click here to read more.