09 Oct News story: Two million applications to the EU Settlement Scheme
Home Secretary Priti Patel has today (9 October 2019) announced that there have been two million applications to the EU Settlement Scheme, according to internal figures.
The EU Settlement Scheme is designed to make it straightforward for EU citizens and their family members to stay after the UK leaves the EU.
To apply they only need to complete three key steps – prove their identity, show that they live in the UK and declare any criminal convictions. EU citizens and their family members have until at least December 2020 to apply.
According to the latest official statistics on the EU Settlement Scheme, more than 1,800,000 applications had been received and more than 1,500,000 had been granted status up to the end of September 2019, providing them with an immigration status under UK law.
The statistics also show that more than 1,700,000 applications had been received from EU citizens in England, 92,700 from Scotland, 29,300 from Wales and 28,700 from Northern Ireland. The highest number of applications are from Polish, Romanian and Italian citizens, with more than 345,000 Polish citizens applying.
Home Secretary Priti Patel said:
EU citizens have made a huge contribution to this country and will play a key role in cementing Britain’s status as an outward-looking, global leader after Brexit.
That is why I am thrilled that we have had 2 million applications to the EU Settlement Scheme so that EU citizens can secure their immigration status under UK law.
To help raise awareness of the EU Settlement Scheme at a local level, the Home Office is holding a series of innovative pop-up events across the UK where staff will answer questions and help people to apply in person.
Home Office Minister Brandon Lewis attended the launch in Great Yarmouth on Friday 6 September 2019 and future events are planned for Aberdeen, Glasgow, Tower Hamlets, Nottingham, Leeds and Birmingham.
The Home Office will also be launching further advertising activity in the coming weeks to build upon its existing £4 million marketing campaign to encourage EU citizens to apply.
Minister of State for Security and Deputy for EU Exit and No Deal Preparation Brandon Lewis said:
EU citizens are our friends, family and neighbours and we want them to stay.
It is fantastic news that there have been two million applications to the EU Settlement Scheme.
There is plenty of support and information on offer to help people apply and get the status they need. That includes a helpline that is open seven days a week, a toolkit for employers and an army of voluntary organisations up and down the country to support hard-to-reach EU citizens.
There is a wide range of support available for EU citizens and their families to help them apply. We have awarded up to £9,000,000 to 57 voluntary and community sector organisations across the UK who are helping vulnerable people such as the homeless, disabled and elderly.
Additional support is also available to those EU citizens in the UK who do not have the appropriate access, skills or confidence to apply. This includes more than 300 assisted digital locations across the UK where people can be supported through their application and more than 80 locations where applicants can have their passport scanned and verified.
Click here to read more.